Thursday, October 2, 2008

stinky ole bacteria

she coughed and sneezed
but never weezed.
she made snorts and sniffed snot
but never a fever.
her head wasn't hot.

she splashed in the bath and played with her toys.
she kept on making squealy baby noise.
it wasn't until night 7 of her cold,
when we thought we were clear
that she made a loud screech and grabbed her right ear.

to the doctor we went.
hi-ho not so merry-o.
she checked thing one, then thing two
and let out a 'wheew.'
on her prescription pad she wrote,
amoxicillan.
not dope.

i asked her sweetly,
if she'd write clearly and neatly
for an energy pill or somethingy real sneakily
i could stick in my coffee, my milk? my water?
anything, anything to help make this mama feel smarter.

our baby has bacteria.
the bad kind in her ear.
it's made me raise my voice and brought on many a tear.

my baby being sick is so unfamiliar to me.
i'm used to her smiling and giggling.
not screaming and wiggling.
i'm used to her sleeping - 12 hours of the night.
and now she wakes at 2 and 4
and this sleep deprived mama is getting uptight.

so i pray for the amoxicillan to go on and do its job.
to kill the bacteria, or else i'll probably sob.
i ask God to hush my baby when she's hurting and i can't help.
because in me is a desire, like nothing else or more,
to make her feel all better.
to make her feel all new.
to make her feel all safe and sound.
so when my arms on her are wrapped around,
she'll know His love and mine are true.

4 comments:

Tay's Mom said...

that was pretty darn good. you know you're a mom when you write poetry about snot and stinky ears.

i hope the boogers have subsided, the ear is feeling better, and you are able to rest soon!

Diana said...

Look out Dr. Seuss...you've got competition! I hope Ms. Loralai feels better SOON!!`

Grandma Judy said...

Those earaches can be a mess, Brian my son sure did have his share of them. We had to have tubes put in his ears 2 times.Loralai is a precious baby and she always has that big smile.

The Swinson's said...

Oh Ashley, I will be thinking about you and your family. I hope Loralai gets better soon and is back to her happy self.