Tuesday, September 30, 2008

it trickled over and stopped.

i remember sitting at our kitchen table in highschool when it hit me. this awful terrible, felt like a knife jabbing into the side of my head, pain. at first i thought my tooth hurt and then i couldn't chew anymore food. i went upstairs, excused myself, and then called out to my mom. i just remember sitting on the top of the stairs and crying my little eyes out. it was the worst pain. i also remember mom telling me something along the lines of me being overly dramatic...until she pulled out her otoscope (she's an audiologist) and realized that i had an ear infection. at 15, i cried like a baby. but at least i could tell my mom what the problem was.

loralai can't. what she can say is ma ma-qua (that's quack)-and bah bah (that's bye bye).

anyway. so we've been battling a cold for a week. on friday i thought we had gotten our sweet and happy baby back. but then on sunday i wasn't so sure. and then yesterday the normally happy baby woke up unusually cranky from a nap and put up a huge fight in the bathtub where she normally quacks and splashes with her daddy. so we knew something was up. and the dr. confirmed an ear infection this morning.

so my heart breaks for our little chunky monkey who weighed in at 19lbs 8oz. she seemed so happy when she woke this morning that i thought for sure she didn't have an ear infection. how do those rascally infections hide so well? so while i don't talk ga gah like loralai does, sometimes i sure wish i did. maybe then she could have told me what the deal was.
poor little babe.

and i thought you'd like this picture - she's visiting her daddy at work and taking a bath in the tub like a big girl. aaah sweet baby life. does it get any better than this?


3 comments:

Jenny | The Balow Bunch said...

I had a very persistant ear infection last winter (needed two rounds of antibiotics)...and I remember the pain! It was terrible. (Although I was in denial that an adult could get an ear infection and waited too many days to go to the doctor...ended up going to urgent care...where the doctor told me it was "rip-roaring-bad." I remember saying...no wonder kids get so cranky when they get ear infections...It put their pain in perspective for me. Hope Loralai feels better soon!

Amber said...

ahhh...the evil ear infections!!! drew never showed symptoms - he was always at the doctor for something else when they were discovered!!! first words are funny - drew's said quack quack and mama first! hope the babe feels better!

The Swinson's said...

I am so sorry to hear your little one has an ear infection. Give her lots of love, hugs and kisses. A little extra snuggle time is my favorite.