Wednesday, September 10, 2008

new stuff and stinky stuff

Last night I sat down at my eisel and I painted. Glory to God, I painted. Big deal, right?

Well it's been a long time since I've sat in front of my pretty 'ole marked up eisel, with a paintbrush in hand, and just painted. And it used to be that I loved to paint with a cup of coffee or a small glass of wine. Why? I don't know. Comforting, I guess. And I'd paint in my living room (not the safest place to paint when you tend to be messy) while watching, really listening, to a movie.

But last night I opted for no coffee (even though I drink decaf these days while i'm a mama cow) or wine but rather - glorious, delicious decaff coke. Oh yum. Even though I only made it a few sips into the cup. I never finish drinks that are tasty. I guess I get distracted; which I'm getting more of these days as I try to multitask everything. So I painted. And it was lovely and therapeutic and I'm sure a real prize-winning canvas. You millionaire paint collectors: cash in. This is your big chance to display a real beauty.


On another multitasking note. When I wrote that word: multitask: it took me back to the first few weeks of motherhood. My body, post c-section, was slowly being shocked back to life. And, so was my digestive system. And one day, while I was learning how to do the stay-at-home thing (with no husband or help), my colon said something to me: RUN. Only if you've ever had major surgery in the belly region, you know that running (or coughing, laughing, sneezing or farting) is not an option. A slow waddle, maybe. But running - umm, no.

So there I was nursing my sweet brown eyed baby when my bowels began to rumble. And so I did what any good mom would do. I multitasked. It didn't seem to bother her. She kept nursing. But I have to say, holding a baby to your boob and unzipping your pants with one hand is pretty tricky. I think I should have been awarded something that day.

And one more thing. I used to have quite the keen sense of smell when I was pregnant. Before pregnancy, no smell. And now, after pregnancy, no smell. Thank goodness, too. Because my sweet chocolate lab has some ferocious poots. I only say ferocious based on the husband's head turning, scary scrunched up face, he makes every time she poots.

So there's that.

5 comments:

Amanda Dengler said...

yea for getting to paint.

i liked your comment about being awarded something that day. hehe. cause don't we all have times like that?

Tay's Mom said...

oh my gosh.

you totally brought me back to the dorm/mill creek days. oh the "details" we discussed as roomies/hallies. that's what i love about you. totally blunt. there's not many of us out that that talk openly about "stinky stuff". i love it.

and, the coffee and wine. was that together? cuz, wow. that's weird.

Anonymous said...

man alive, I needed that laugh!!! love, love any blog that has the words poots, farting in it...LOL..next time Kelly is in town, we must ALL get together!!!

moorehg said...

Hey Ashley! Your baby girl is so pretty! And so is that picture you painted, I'm so envious of artistic people, I have ideas all the time and never put them down then they are gone..forever. But I love your blog, its so funny. I'm 13 wks and 3 days preggo myself now and I have enjoyed reading your adventures! How do you like being a stay at home mommy? I wish I could do that when I have mine. But I don't think its going to be possible. Well, have a good day and I hope to hear from you soon..I might be calling on you for first time pregnancy advice!

Kathleen said...

wow...maybe whenever I have my first I will pick up the paintbrush again. I also never thought about the situation you were put in....but you handled it like a champ. i feel a bit more prepared after reading that!