Monday, March 30, 2009

whisper His name

i have an every day friend. she's one of my dearest (the one who introduced me to peanut butter). she's an every day friend because she's my every day phone call. she's someone who knows me in places more intimately than friends who have known me 25 years. and she and i have only been friends for a little more than three years. this friend is a precious soul, with a light that shines so bright for Jesus. her desire to know her Savior is insatiable. it's a blessing to be her friend and to be in her presence means that conversation is rich.

today we were talking about how close she is to birthing her second baby. and we were working through the nerves that rise up when childbirth nears. and she told me about a song she sang at a church she visited this weekend: Whisper His Name. that's the song. it says - whisper his name, call out his name, shout out his name...and He will run to you.

pause.

really think about that. we did.

just do it. right now. whisper his name: jesus. call out his name: jesus. shout out his name: JESUS!

do you feel it? do you feel the nearing presence of the savior? i do. and i have so many times in my life. but i don't recall those times nearly enough. but today i did. i love this friend. she evokes that - the desire to be near to the One who comes when we even just whisper his precious hallelujah name: jesus.

so i want to list for you the times that i've called out his name and he came. and then i hope that you'll do that same. make a list, if just mentally, of the times that Jesus has come to your aid. he's ever present but when He arrives in ways that, and when, you take notice. it's breathtaking.

two dogs were chasing me. i was on foot. i screamed, "JESUS JESUS JESUS!" and he came. a man on his bicycle with his dog came racing down the road and ran the dogs back. i just stood and cried. knowing that jesus rescued me from danger by an angry pitt bull and his other mix-breed friend.

i prayed in my hand-me-down twin bed, growing up, that Jesus would save my family. my save and his were different. but saved we all are.

in the throws of laboring during childbirth, i called out: Jesus: and he came. peace covered me. he healed my wounds.

when my dad died, all i could speak through anguish was: ABBA! FATHER! Jesus. and he came. he gave me visions and led me to Himself through his word.

when my grandad was dying and i was caring for him alone, and desperate to have one last conversation with him, though his mind was slipping away and his body wasting, i called out: please Jesus. and he came. he gave me one last conversation. an exchange of I love yous and never another word from my grandad.

when my neice was being operated on and her recovery seemed daunting, myself and a group of prayer warriors called out his name: Jesus help! and he came. she recovered, she drank a bottle, she took a first breath, she slept, she smiled, she cooed. he came.

when a boyfriend broke up with me and i was tempted to take antidepressants to dull the pain, i instead called on his name: hold me Jesus. and he did. and he covered me in a renewing peace.

when my friend told me she was pregnant again and feared losing her baby for the nearly fifth time, myself and other prayer warriors called on his name to heal her bleeding uterus and to make the life inside of her thrive. and so we called on his name: Jesus! and he came. and life is growing within her.

when dark hands held mine above my head, pinned to my bed, in the middle of the night and i couldn't move, i shouted his name: Jesus. and the hands disappeared as though his name held some sort of power that even they couldn't resist.

there is power in the name of the One who sat at the right hand of the Father when the world was spoken into being. He reigns. and He loves. and all we have to do is call on his name because it is by his name that we are saved, through his grace, through faith.

I was so glad to be reminded of his love for me today. remind yourself of when you called on him and he came.

10 comments:

Tay's Mom said...

i called on Him a few minutes ago. finally have written a post about the emotions swirling through my brain, i was overwhelmed. on the verge of a breakdown. needing help. needing Him. and He came. through this post. He came. thank you -- you reminded me that all i need to do when these emotions grab my heart, is call His name. and He will save me.

mellanie said...

I just have to say that I love reading your blogs. I love your openness and sincerity. Kinda makes me wish we had gotten to know each other a little better in high school.

:)

BrandiB said...

I called on Him to help me finsh the post I just did. I call on Him everyday to help me understand this crazy life we lead, or to give me patience when it is not my time for understanding.

Claire said...

What a lovely post. How blessed we are that He is always there.

Cxx

Susan McVey said...

Powerful. I made my list while reading your blog and thanked God for caring enough to hear my cries. There are two song lyrics that go through my head whenever I feel overwhelmed:

God my god I cry out, your beloved needs you now.

When I call on Jesus. All things are possible. He'll move heaven and earth to come rescue me when I call.

Susan McVey said...

Powerful. I made my list while reading your blog and thanked God for caring enough to hear my cries. There are two song lyrics that go through my head whenever I feel overwhelmed:

God my god I cry out, your beloved needs you now.

When I call on Jesus. All things are possible. He'll move heaven and earth to come rescue me when I call.

Sara said...

ashley, i think that might have been the most powerful of all you posts. thank you. Shouting His Name is such a powerful thing. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. Your words are so powerful and are such a great reminder of His presence. I've been thinking about all the moments I've called on Him over the past years, and it really is amazing to recall.

Together We Save said...

Thank you so much for the reminder that we are not alone.

kelly said...

thanks for that beautiful reminder to call on jesus...and to reflect on his answers.